Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Call Letter Dilemma

My favorite radio station in the entire world probably has to be KDAY in Los Angeles.  They have a similar station to what I am trying to create.  Similar, but not anywhere near the same.

K-D-A-Y is their station call letters.  All radio stations have them.  It serves as a station identification.  All stations are required to identify themselves in the form of a station ID that has to be played at least once every hour.  For example, at the top of every hour KDAY will play a piece of audio saying something on the lines of "K-D-A-Y Los Angeles."  They are required to say their call letters and where their broadcasting tower is located in every hour.  There is no getting around it, it's the law.

Needless to say, call letters are pretty important.  Granted an online station like mine is not required to have them but that is another story for another time.  My station will have official call letters to make it easier to identify the station and make it easier to find the stream on streaming apps such as the Tune In radio app.

The first set of call letters that came to mind was K-O-S-A.  The idea was to have the calls represent the phrase "Keeping Old School Alive".  I thought it was great, and catchy!

I looked up the letters on the FCC web page and I saw that no station in existence is using those letters.  So it is in fact do-able. A few days had passed and I was convinced that I was going to purchase the rights to use K-O-S-A for the station.  In my mind, it was pretty much a done deal.

Then I began to think.  What about K-H-H-A?  (Keeping Hip Hop Alive)

All of a sudden my two conflicting call letters were in a type of quarterback controversy so to speak. 

I like them both but now I am swinging towards changing it to KHHA.

I was frustrated cause I have far too much to do than to re-address details I had already gone over once already.  Oh well.  It was what it was.  So now I have to decide on what call letters I plan to use.... again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THIS IS NOT THE STATION WEB PAGE, ONLY THE PROGRESSION BLOG!!!